As you all know, I’m an event planner who’s now in charge of New York’s Federal Housing Program.
Many people say planning an event has nothing to do with this new role but I beg to differ! In fact, planning my own wedding was a huge challenge and definitely a great stepping stone to leading a federal government agency.
Here are just a few of the ways my experience will come in handy:
1. For my wedding, sticking to a strict $35,000 budget was a challenge that required careful discipline. This is a lot like creating a $3.2 Billion budget to provide housing for New York’s most at-risk population.
2. When planning a wedding, Pinterest can be a girl’s best friend or her worst nightmare! For me, it helped me find inspiration and maintain a curated link to the vintage elegance theme I selected. Similarly, running New York’s federal housing program means I’ll have to inspect buildings and make sure they’re up to code and people aren’t dying due to negligence or faulty building inspections or whatever.
3. Organizing my wedding was a nightmare. Google spreadsheets, emails, voicemails, handwritten to-do lists – oh my! After that headache, maintaining the database system for tracking the salaries of hundreds of thousands of employees should be a piece of cake.
4. When things get overwhelming, it’s important to take time out for you. When I started to feel like it was all too much, with the cake design and the entree orders and the table seating, I took some time off to just relax and not think about it. I imagine I’ll be doing the same thing while running this federal housing program thing.
5. My wedding had personal touches like handmade stickers. As head of NY’s Federal Housing program my “personal touch” will be that all notices about water service will be hung with patterned washi tape.
6. For my wedding, I couldn’t decide between hot pink and silver, or purple and red or blush pink and navy blue. These decision-making skills will come in handy when deciding the criteria for handing out mortgages to people I guess.
7. Negotiating with vendors requires firmness and patience. I remember successfully convincing the photographer to throw in video for free, what a sense of accomplishment! There’s like 2 million people affected by the policies of Federal Housing Program and I will be in charge of all of it.
8. One thing you might not realize is that planning the post-wedding brunch can be anyone’s job, whether the bride’s family or groom’s – it could even be done by the wedding party. So confusing! It’s important to keep everyone on the same page there. As head of NY’s Federal Housing program, I’ll have to figure out how to provide economic stimulation to NY in the form of home and community development.
9. Wedding planning has made me so excited to start coordinating the flow of billions of federal dollars into New York City, Newark, Trenton and other troubled urban centers.
Thank you Mr. Trump for my new role as head of NY Federal Housing, I can’t wait to start!